|After a push request is made to Urban Airship and processed through our systems, we hand the notification to the push platform providers (APNS or GCM) who then delivers it to devices.|
For basic push notifications, while we cannot track the push all the way to the end users' individual devices, we can track if we successfully handed a notification to APNS or GCM for delivery to devices. For rich notifications and landing pages, we can provide receipt verification with our mobile engagement data streaming service, Urban Airship Connect.
Notification Delivery Path:
- A request to send a push notification is made to Urban Airship from the API or Dashboard.
- If sent via the Push API, the request is checked for valid JSON and required authentication keys. A 202 response is returned if the request is properly formatted and no syntax errors are detected.
- Urban Airship processes the push request and determines which active devices that the notification should be sent to.
- Urban Airship passes requests to the appropriate service provider (GCM, APNS, etc) as individual push messages addressed to each device.
- The service provider performs the delivery of the push notification to actual devices.
- This notification passes over the Internet to arrive on the device usually over WIFI or a cellular data network.
- The client app on the device handles the message as appropriate for the platform, context, and message type.
Once we have handed off the message, we have no visibility into the path of the push through third-party networks and services. If you believe that there are discrepancies with push sends, please contact Urban Airship support or post in the Community Forums.