Additional steps must be taken to utilize new iOS 10 push notification features. This article is comprised of the most commonly seen problems with solutions listed. This is not an exhaustive list but following this guide can save considerable time and energy.
Add a Service Notification Extension
The very first step to utilize iOS 10 features is to follow the instructions on making a Service Notification Extension as listed in our Implementation Guide (see step 5).
Verify that the Service Notification Extension is working
Check the following areas to make sure the implementation has been setup correctly:
- Confirm that the service extension binary is embedded in the app target.
- Confirm that the AirshipAppExtension framework is included in the “Build Phases” for the service extension target.
- Confirm that the AirshipAppExtension framework is included as a linked binary in the service extensions “Build Phases”.
- Confirm that the AirshipAppExtension framework is included as a copy file phase in the service extensions “Build Phases”.
Check deployment method
When deploying from Xcode, confirm that you are deploying and attaching the service extension to your app. Always choose the notification service scheme when running, not the app target.
Xcode will prompt you to choose the parent app:
Information to include with Support tickets or Forum posts:
Should the information above not resolve the issue, please include the following information in an email (contracted customers) or in forum posts (ecommerce plans):
- A copy of the Info.plist for the notification service extension.
- A copy of the class files used by the notification service extension.
- If you created a service extension using the default Xcode app extension template, the class will be named “NotificationService”