Make sure the following guides have been completed before continuing with this article:
Urban Airship provides a comprehensive set of RESTful APIs that allow users to perform a wide variety of functions with the Urban Airship service, including sending push notifications, creating and managing audience segmentation data, export Reporting information, set up Server-side integrations and tracking, and so on. The benefits of using the Urban Airship APIs include:
- Send pushes programmatically
- Manage tag/segmentation data server-side
- Export push reports to external systems
- Upload lists programmatically
- Personalize pushes based off of user information from an external source
- Send notifications to non-mobile channels
Before you get started, make sure you have the proper authentication (which is your app key and master secret) to start using the API:
Once you have these steps completed, you will have the necessary API keys to start integrating with the Urban Airship API.
Urban Airship also provides many ways to integrate with the API. We have multiple Server libraries written in Java, Python, Ruby and PHP. You will also have the ability to make requests to the API with cURL as well.
Choose one of the following options to start integrating with the UA API
Urban Airship is no longer actively developing the php library but will respond to submitted issues and pull requests on Github.
Each library integration will have its own separate setup guide (contained within their respective Github repositories). Please make sure that you’ve followed the installation instructions. Then you will be able to start sending push and retrieving data for your app.
Implementation best practices:
- What are the limitations of the API?
- Best practices for 500 and 503 API Errors
- 'Expect: 100-Continue' Issues and Risks
Tech Support best practices:
- Example API Requests
- API Troubleshooting Guide
- Troubleshooting HTTP Status Codes
- Information to include with API error issues
Now that you have the API integration completed, your next steps are to ensure you implement the mobile SDK. Then you can begin to send pushes to your app and start to segment notifications to specific audiences.